Thursday, September 19, 2013

Opportunism in Internship Decision

When there is a point for us to make choice, potential opportunism will occur in our decision making. For most international students on campus, finding a summer internship is not easy because we are restricted by visa status. Without an related background, I got a summer internship in a Chinese bank New York branch by having some relatives networking. Having an internship in the U.S., especially in somewhere near Times Square, it is a great boost on the resume and future job seeking. However, after I talked to the HR, I was told that this position is considering as volunteer, and the company will provide seldom training and actual tasks to interns. It is not an opening position, just like something over shadow. They offered this opportunity to their big clients’ children or employers’ relatives who want to make their resume looks better. 

After I talked to my previous colleague, who is also an alumnus, he told me that I may not learn something valuable from this internship experience because I’ve already interned in their Hong Kong branch last year. Besides, he told me that the company has concerned in confidential information, so people without contracts (like interns) cannot access to information and nothing to do. However, we both acknowledged that this opportunity will provide me a more persuasive work experience and look great in my resume. I was struggling with the deal because I also received an offer from a television station in China. Both internship were unpaid so I need to compare their payoff. I know that even if I can learn more and apply more knowledge in the internship in China, it will still be less persuasive in other countries. However, if I waste two months in New York without learning anything valuable, I will feel guilty to my time and money.

I finally choose the internship in my hometown. First, I am more interesting in TV production and willing to apply some of my relevant knowledge to it (I am double majoring in communication). It allows me do something more relevant to my future expectation. Indeed, this internship is not an easy job. I need to select topic, interview people and communicate with cameraman, write script lines, and edit videos after I get through the training. Even if the process was painful, I can finish a piece of TV news production all by myself. Second, the opportunity cost of working in my hometown will be less than working in the New York. I don’t need to worry about housing and budget. I can also go back home and spend some time with my family and friends. 

When considering opportunism in this case, I think the reward for taking the opportunity will be a better look in the resume and networking with people who will be benefit for me to settle down in the U.S. However, if I take this step, my resume will become more or less deceptive because it still looks great even if I am just in charge of writing address on the envelopes. Plus, I don’t want to work in a decent bank and finally learn nothing about banking. Even though I give up this opportunity, I still think my choice is great because I have a valuable summer.

5 comments:

  1. There are some who believe that unpaid internships are opportunism - by the companies that exploit the student and the universities that give academic credit for it without needing to pay an instructor. See this piece.

    Resume padding is a form opportunism, no doubt. But you may overstate its value - if everybody does it then the resume simply becomes a less informative document during the job search. Potential employers should understand this and therefore prefer information on a resume that can be readily verified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the value of resume padding will hard to measure. In the U.S., there will be some methods to verify resume, such as having reference requirement. However, having an internship in the U.S. will be valued higher in China and employers will seldom verify due to the costs. I also feel like summer internship and internship during the semester have a little bit different. For internship during the semester, there are limits on time and transportation. So the unpaid internship might be reasonable because students have things other than the internship to do. But I do see interns have some loads as full-time employer and without pay checks.
      I think the article is interesting. And I appreciate the points from university's perspective.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting that you talk about the difficulty of finding an internship as an international student; it's a problem that one of my professors has brought up to me and is interested in trying to address. I definitely have an idea of the challenge you have faced.

    The choice you describe seems to come down to what you value more, a good experience doing something you like or a unpaid internship that looks good on paper but offers little practical experience. There is an ethical component with the idea of resume padding, but I'm curious if your decision was based on wanting to be ethical and not pad your resume, or because the broadcasting job just was the more appealing option? Given the conclusion to your post, I'd definitely say you chose the better option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say my decision was more based on my enthusiasm in broadcasting jobs and felt this job will be more interesting. Besides padding my resume, there are several other opportunity costs, such as living expenditure during summer and time to spend with family. So these are all reasons I consider about. The reason for not being opportunism usually involve with more factors other than ethical concerns.
      Thanks for your conclusion. Finding a job is still not easy. But we will eventually settle : )

      Delete
  3. I think it is very interesting a noble that you chose to intern at the job you had more of a passion for rather than one that would simply pad your resume. I think it is also interesting to think about unpaid internships as a form of opportunism. I never really though about it in this context but now that we are learning about it and it is very relevant in our college careers, it seems to fit the bill perfectly. Not only are school taking advantage of these programs, but businesses themselves know that many students want these internships for their resumes. However, it is interesting to think about who really comes out on top in this cycle. If employers realize this, it seems as though in the end they will have to search harder to find an employee with verifiable credentials that aren't merely just words on resume paper.

    ReplyDelete